ContactProfessor of Geophysics
4107 O'Hara Street
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- PhD in Geophysics, 1987, Stanford University
- GEOL 1410 Exploration Geophysics
- GEOL 1445 GIS, GPS and Computer Methods
- GEOL 1446 Advanced Geographical Information Systems
- GEOL 2446 Adv GIS Systems & Computer Methods
- GEOL 2449 GIS, GPS, and Computer Methods
- GEOL 3410 Exploration Geophysics
- GEOL 3946 Advanced Programming Methods: Python, Advanced Model Builder Programming
- Carbon sequestration
- Rock physics
- Geospatial analysis applied to geohazards
- Paleomagnetism and plate tectonics
- Environmental geophysics
Purcell, C., Harbert, W., Soong, Y., McLendon, T. R., Hardage, B., Symth, R., Haljasmaa, I. V. McIntyre, D., and JiKich, J., (2009), Velocity measurements in reservoir rock samples from the SACROC unit using various pore fluids and integration into a seismic survey taken before and after a CO2 sequestration flood, Energy Procedia, v. 1, p 2323-2331.
Hammack, R., Kaminskiy, V., Harbert, W., Sams, J., Veloski, G., and Ackman, T. (in revision) Using airborne electromagnetic surveys to identify potential hazards at coal waste impoundments: Examples from West Virginia. Geophysics.
Lipinski, Brian, Sams, J., Smith, B., and Harbert, W., (2008), Using Helicopter Electromagnetic Surveys to Evaluate Coalbed Natural Gas Produced Water Disposal in the Power River Basin, Wyoming,Geophysics, v. 73, no. 3, p. B77-B84.
Harbert, W., Tsukanov, N., Freitag, R., Alexeiev, D., Gaedicke, C., Baranov, B., Skolotnev, S., Kramer, W., Seifert, W. (in press, 2007) Paleomagnetism of the Cretaceous rocks from Kronotskiy Peninsula, East Kamchatka and reconstruction of terrane trajectories in the NE Pacific area. Geology and Tectonic Origins of Northeast Russia: A Tribute to Leonid Parfenov, Stephan Mueller volume, EUG.
Sams, J., Lipinski, B., Harbert, W., and Ackman, T. (2007) Application of ArcGIS Modelbuilder to airborne electromagnetic surveys for the improvement of water management in the Powder River Basin, Wyoming. ArcUser, January-March.
Harbert, W., Jones, V.T., Izzo, J., and Anderson, T.H. (2006) Analysis of light hydrocarbons in soil gases, Lost River region, West Virginia: Relation to stratigraphy and geological structures: AAPG Bulletin 90, 715-734.