Double Majors and Dual Degrees

If you plan your time carefully, you may be able to double or even triple major at Pitt.  Apart from the time it takes to complete all of the required classes, the major restriction to keep in mind is that no more than eight (8!) credits of "core" classes can overlap between two majors, a major and a minor, or a major and a certificate.  "Core" in this case means both core and elective classes, but does not normally include co-requisite classes.  Thus, for the GIS Certificate, eight credits of GEOL classes can overlap, which in practice means just two classes.

This policy makes it difficult to double major in geology and environmental science.  But don't get too hung up on this:  Once you leave college, no one really cares if you double majored or got five certificates.  The thing to focus on is to take more of the classes you find to be the most interesting and/or will give you the broadest possible set of skills for use in the workplace or graduate school.  Focus on the subject matter, not the merit badges.

Students from other departments who declare Geology or Environmental Science or Environmental Studies as a second major should consult with their Geology or Environmental Science or Environmental Studies advisor as soon as possible to ensure that all requirements can be fulfilled in time to graduate.  

What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

Students who meet all of the major requirements of two or three departments may declare a double or triple major.  As with most universities, this double or triple major results in one degree.  If one major leads to a BS degree and the another to a BA, you must decide when you apply for graduation which degree (BS or BA) you wish to receive.

A dual degree is a more exotic option.  You may simultaneously pursue more than one undergraduate degree, either within the Dietrich School (i.e., both a BA and a BS) or in combination with another undergraduate school (e.g. Engineering or Business) within the University.  In general, earning two degrees requires a minimum of 150 credits and completion of the curriculum requirements of both schools. Detailed information about these options is available in the Advising Center, 201 Thackeray Hall.