The Department of Geology & Environmental Science is internationally recognized for excellence in research and education. Graduate study resulting in both M.S. and Ph.D. degrees is available through the Department, as well as a professional M.S. degree in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) & Remote Sensing (RS). Students in all graduate programs learn through coursework, research and teaching as they pursue their degree.
Students can pursue research in a wide variety of areas, including:
- Tectonic, Volcanic, and Surface Processes
- Planetary Science and Astrobiology
- Paleoclimate and Environmental Change
- Environmental Geochemistry and Biogeochemistry
- Energy Geosciences
- Hydrologic Processes
Applications must be submitted by January 15 in order to enter the program in the fall term of a given year. Applications are accepted at any time, and applicants are encouraged to submit completed applications as early as possible to receive full consideration for fellowships and other financial support. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to explore the research areas of the faculty in the Department, and contact individual faculty whose research they find interesting prior to applying to the program. Learn More
Financial support for the PhD and MS programs is normally provided to graduate students in good standing through a combination of teaching and research assistantships. In addition, several competitive fellowships are available for graduate students, including those just entering the program. Departmental financial assistance is generally not available for students in the Pro-MS in GIS/Remote Sensing program. Learn more.
Graduate study in the Department provides students with a strong foundation in various aspects of Geology and Environmental Sciences. The Department offers degree programs leading to a PhD or MS in Geology & Environmental Science, as well as a professional MS degree in geographic information systems and remote sensing. Our alumni have gone on to distinguished research careers in academic, government, and industrial sectors, rewarding teaching careers at all levels from K-12 to university, and as independent scientific entrepreneurs in a variety of corporate and organizational settings.
Core Graduate Courses
Please take a moment to review our core graduate courses.
Life After Pitt!
Just a few of the jobs our graduates have acquired! Be sure to connect with fellow alum for more information!
- Tenured-Stream Faculty Positions
- Wilkes University - Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences
- University of Louisiana Lafayette - School of Geosciences
- University of Illinois-Champaign Urbana - Biogeochemistry
- University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Lecturer Positions
- University of Pittsburgh
- Research/Post-doctoral/Staff Positions
- University of Minnesota. Department of Forestry
- Cornell University
- Stanford University
- University of California Santa Barbara
- University of Texas - Applied Research Laboratories
- University of Pittsburgh - Clinical Transitional Science Institute
- Vanderbilt University
- University of California Merced
- Continued Education
- University of Arizona
- Penn State University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- DiGioia Gray, Inc.
- Dawson 3D
- Rhea Engineers & Consultants
- EQT Corporation
- Arsenal Resources
- Hydrus Technology
- Civil and Environmental Consultants Inc.
- RJ Lee Group
- Argo Al
- The Thrasher Group
- Eastern Geographic Science Center - U.S. Geological Survey
- Department of Defense
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- US Census Bureau
- Department of Energy
- Smithsonian Global Volcanism Program
- Environmental Protection Agency in Region 5
- National Energy Technology Lab