Grants and Scholarships for Undergraduate Education, Research, and Teaching
- American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) National Undergraduate Scholarship awards $1000 for tuition and room & board expenses (deadline in February). This one is for future professional geologists; it requires a 'creative' essay, among other things.
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Scholarships: For undergraduates and graduates (deadline around March 1).
- Scholarships and Resources for Minority Students: This list of scholarships is put out by an organization called Steps, which has an overall mission of guiding all students toward careers in public service. These careers include such things as teaching and homeland security.
- Research and Teaching Grants
- General Undergraduate Grants
Departmental Scholarships for Field Studies and Books
We have two scholarships that support field studies.
- The Norman K. Flint Memorial Field Geology Scholarship is specifically for geology and hydrogeology summer field camps. Unfortunately, we cannot use it to support undergraduate field research.
- The Environmental Studies Field Studies Scholarship is to support non- geology field studies for especially Environmental Studies and Environmental Science majors.
And we have one scholarship for books:
• The Samuel B. Frazier Book Scholarship provides grants to help purchase necessary textbooks. This scholarship is open to all three of our majors.
Emailed fliers for all three scholarships will go out in early December, with the deadline being around the middle of January. The monies are disbursed before the end of April. Note: We do not normally award both the Flint and Environmental Studies field scholarships to the same person. Apply for one or the other!
External Scholarships for Geology Summer Field Camps
A number of organizations offer scholarships for summer field camps. In addition to those listed below, individual institutions that offer geology field camps may also offer scholarships to help offset expenses.
- National Association of Geoscience Teachers Scholarships for Field Study: $750 to offset summer field camp expenses. Deadline is usually in mid-February.
- GSA/ExxonMobil Field Camp Scholar Award: $2,000 to offset summer field camp expenses. Opens in mid-February. Various GSA internships and other monies are found here.
- Association for Women Geoscientists awards: They have a variety of student awards, including the Maria Crawford Field Camp Scholarship (mid-February deadline).
- L. Austin Weeks Undergraduate Grant Program (AAPG Foundation): This one offers $500 for any hands-on field related expenses for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. You can spend the money on rock hammers, tents, etc., as long as they help you get out in the field and do geology. They also give $500 to student-led organizations. Deadline is normally in mid-April.
- AEG Foundation (Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists): They sponsor a number of scholarships for a number of purposes. The Beardsley-Kuper Fund supports geology field camps (February 1 deadline), but other funds seem to be general geology scholarships, or help student chapters put on field trips, or help support field studies in general. This is a good page to study!
- Some field camps offer scholarships to support students attending their field camp. For example, Indiana University's field camp offers several scholarships. To find more, just google "geology field camp scholarship" and click on the ".edu" links.